Camp Campbell is the Occoneechee's primitive campgrounds on Kerr Lake in Southern Virginia. It features 1400 acres of pine and mixed hardwoods, with 26 auto-accessible campsites served by potable water. Most of the campsites have a picnic table, and all have a fire circle. Located on a peninsula that juts out into the main body of the lake, the camp is surrounded by water on three sides, making it ideal for practicing orienteering, wilderness first aid, and wilderness survival.
The "Block House" has indoor toilets and showers, as well as a kitchen, making the facility comply with Cub Scout camping requirements, but the keys to the Block House must be requested from the Council Service Center prior to its use. The Talley Activity Center, shown above, adjoins an acre of open activity field and has a large fireplace and picnic tables for group use.
Directions: The camp is located about 45 minutes North of Raleigh.
Take I-85 or US No. 1 North to Henderson NC
· Take Hwy 39 North at I-85 Henderson Exit 214 (or the Hwy 39 exit from US No. 1 North)
· Continue North on Hwy 39 for 14 miles
· Fork right onto Rock Spring Church Road/NC 1356 (the church is in the fork)
· Continue about 3 miles, You will cross the NC/VA state line.
· Turn Left off State Road 717 and onto State Road 826
· Camp Campbell is on the right
If you cross the lake inlet, you have gone too far.